Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Staying strong


Todays marks 216 days since I came with Peace Corps to serve in Nicaragua, seven months in this beautiful country and surrounded by amazing people. My last post was April 13, that post I talked about posting more frequently but that hasn't happened but I'm here giving an update to whoever wants to read it and thank you for that.

Two weeks ago I had the worst week in my service after hurricane Maria passed through Puerto Rico and kept me uncommunicated with my family for around a week without knowing whether they were well and safe. All communications in the island collapsed; internet, telephone lines and cell phone antennas. I can't explain the feelings I felt those days watching videos of the devastation and asking myself constantly, is my family ok? Every time I went to facebook I watched many friends and family in U.S. asking the same question. After six days, my father received a phone call giving him the news that my family was doing well, I felt some kind of relief but still wanted to hear their voice. Next day my sister got cell phone signal and send me the best voice message telling me they were well. 


During that week I can't count how much support I received/felt from people here in Nicaragua, Peace Corps family and friends back in the states. I'm grateful for having those people in my life. Now, my beloved country needs help. I am blessed to have my family well but there are other fellow puertorricans that still don't know about their families(yes, after two weeks). There are a lot of families that lost everything that needs your help, I'm not asking you donate money but to spread the voice about what is happening over there. We don't want everything done like someone mentioned in twitter, we want the same treatment that any other U.S. citizen receives. We pay taxes, social security, Medicare and we serve in the army, it isn't that we are asking for something that we don't deserve.


"The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

No comments:

Post a Comment